When it comes to online marketing, user experience (UX) drives conversion rates and customer loyalty.
User experience comprises design, content, the speed of a website or application, and more.
However, content influences UX more than most other factors. If leveraged well, it motivates users, guides them, and converts them.
In this post, I’ll share how content curation can improve user experience for your audience.
Hold on as we dive in!
Why Content Curation in the Age of Information Overload
You know that every individual with a smartphone is inundated with ads, news, and social media content.
As a result, most people experience information overload. People also have shorter attention spans as social media trains people to seek exciting content faster. As a result, people seek valuable information and high-quality content.
Content curation helps here. It can increase user engagement and satisfaction by curating value-generating content and by curating information into bite-sized pieces.
By providing a carefully selected collection of information, you create a personalized approach that improves user experience and builds platform trust and loyalty.
And so, content curation is essential for a better user experience, not just a nice-to-have.
How to Drive Better UX with Content Curation
Now that we’ve established the importance of content curation in enhancing UX, let’s explore how you can implement it. Here are some key ways in which content curation can improve the user experience on your platform:
1. Filter out low-quality and irrelevant content
The hardest thing about finding content online is not its availability – it’s the quality. And so, filtering out low-quality and irrelevant content is crucial to provide value.
Content curation allows you to present valuable and relevant information to your users, saving them time and establishing your platform as a reliable source.
For example, imagine a user interested in sustainable living visiting your platform. Without curation, they would have to sift through unrelated articles, wasting time and potentially leaving in frustration.
However, with effective content curation, they would find a collection of articles specifically on sustainable living tips, products, resources, and so on. And they avoid irrelevant content.
2. Provide diverse perspectives
One of the biggest advantages of content curation is the ability to offer diverse perspectives on a particular topic. With curated content, you can present different viewpoints and varying opinions on a subject, providing users with a well-rounded view.
As an example, if your platform focuses on global news, curating articles from various sources and publications can give users a more comprehensive understanding of current events. This not only enhances their knowledge but also encourages critical thinking and engagement with the content. In this way, content curation not only improves user experience but also nurtures a well-informed and curious audience.
3. Minimize information overload for better decision-making
Information overload can hinder users’ decision-making abilities.
Content curation addresses this issue by presenting information in an organized and curated manner, enabling users to make informed decisions without feeling overwhelmed.
This approach is great for blog owners who do product reviews. If, for example, a user is looking for the best custom T-shirts, you can enable them to choose the best option by reducing information overload.
A curated blog with tech product information. Source.
Curate the top reviews and other information to highlight key laptop features and thereby help your audience choose the right product without feeling overwhelmed. This improves the user experience and boosts conversion rates.
4. Personalize content
Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of content curation on user experience is personalization. By curating content to match your preferences and interests, you can create a more engaging and personalized experience for your audience.
To do this, you must know your audience and focus on a specific niche. The more specific your area of interest is, the more likely you can curate personalized content.
If you’re in the fitness industry, you could niche down and offer personalized, curated content for keto enthusiasts, vegans, yoga practitioners, or some other group. Such highly curated content appears very personalized and increases engagement with your audience base.
5. Simplify Content Discovery
Content curation can significantly improve user experience by making content discovery and navigation easy.
Curate articles into categories or collections based on topics or themes so users can easily find the information they seek without having to search through an entire platform.
You not only save time for users but also encourage them to explore more content on your platform, ultimately improving their overall experience.
6. Organize Content into Categories for Easier Understanding
Organizing your content into specific categories is crucial for a better user experience.
By creating a neatly organized library, you help people easily find what they need.
For example, on an e-learning platform with numerous courses, categorization allows people to locate relevant courses based on their interests and goals quickly.
Well-structured categories also support content discovery and show that your platform is professional and reliable. This enhances user trust and encourages long-term engagement.
Example of categorizing curated content. Source
7. Provide updates
Audiences value a place that gives them the most critical new information fast.
With so much information available, it’s challenging to stay up-to-date with what matters.
By curating the latest content in your industry, you solve this problem. Gather and organize relevant new information about trends, tools, studies, and news.
Doing so builds loyalty and positions your brand as an authority. Regular updates also encourage people to return for the latest information, improving their overall experience and engagement.
Make sure to add your logo design and other branding assets in your content to further solidify your brand as an industry authority.
Example of news for a specific topic. Source
Best practices for effective content curation
Now that we have established the benefits of content curation on user experience, let’s take a look at some best practices for effective content curation. These tips will help you curate relevant, high-quality content that resonates with your audience and adds value to their overall experience on your platform.
- Understand your audience: Before you begin the process of content curation, it’s crucial to understand who your audience is, their interests, and what kind of content they are likely to find engaging and useful. Use analytics tools to gather insights about your audience’s preferences and tailor your content curation strategy accordingly.
- Curate content regularly: You get the most out of your curation efforts if you’re consistent with it. Treat content curation as a regular activity and look for and collect information on a daily basis to support better UX.
- Choose quality over quantity: When it comes to curating content, always prioritize quality over quantity. It’s better to share fewer pieces of high-quality, relevant content than to overwhelm your users with a large volume of low-quality or irrelevant content.
- Add your unique perspective: While curating content, don’t just share it as it is. Add your unique perspective or commentary to make it more personalized and engaging for your audience. This also helps to establish your brand’s authority and credibility in your niche.
- Credit the original sources: Always remember to credit the original source when you curate content. This not only respects the original creator’s work but also enhances your brand’s credibility.
- Organize curated content effectively: As we discussed earlier, organizing your curated content into categories or collections can significantly enhance user experience. Make sure you have a logical categorization system in place and ensure that it’s easy for users to navigate.
- Keep it updated: Regularly update your curated content to ensure that it remains relevant and up-to-date. This will encourage users to come back to your platform for the latest information and insights.
- Use a mix of formats: Don’t limit your content curation to one format. Use a mix of articles, videos, infographics, podcasts, etc., to cater to different learning styles and preferences in your audience.
- Promote your curated content: Once you have curated content, make sure to promote it across various channels such as your website, social media, email newsletters, etc. This increases visibility and drives more engagement.
- Use the right tools: As you can see, curating content to enable the best user experience can be hard to do manually. And you don’t have to. This is where Scoop.it comes in and allows you to easily find, curate, and share information from around the web. Use Scoop.it for easy organization of your curated content and a better user experience. You can also ‘scoop’ different formats and discover content easily.
There is a strong link between content curation and user experience and we’ve explored them in depth in this post.
So, get started today to see powerful benefits for your business and improved engagement from your audience.
Remember, effective content curation is about providing relevant, high-quality information that adds value to your user’s experience on your platform. So, keep in mind these best practices and make content curation a regular part of your marketing strategy.